After the Battle of Gingindlovu in April 1879, a Division of the British army moved north to secure the Zululand coast while the main military thrust proceeded to Ulundi for the final phase of the Anglo Zulu War. Forts were built at strategic points every 20 to 30kms, usually on hilltops close to rivers. One of these was Fort Chelmsford close to the Nyezane River. Nothing remains of Fort Chelmsford today (it is now a homestead on a sugarcane farm called Fort Chelmsford) but a granite memorial nearby marks the burial site of 71 British soldiers who died – not in battle but of dysentery and malaria.
The memorial is about 50m off the R102 ± halfway between Mtunzini and Gingindlovu.
- Fort Chelmsford, Mabangwa
- -28.9778692, 31.612017599999944